Saturday, February 19, 2011

Heritage Classic In Calgary

So whats at stake Sunday afternoon in Calgary, on the outdoor rink? 2 POINTS, a big 2 pts for both teams. Montreal comes into to Calgary for the #Heritage Classic, with Mike Cammalleri looking to return after he missed 12 games with a separated shoulder. He should add a boost to Montreal's offensive  attack, with 32 pts in 44 games. The Canadians have only 1 win in their last 6 games, but still.sit in 6th place in the east. 9 points ahead of any threat from Atlanta/Buffalo.The points become a big deal for the hot Calgary flames. Calgary is sitting tied with 3  teams at 68 pts.  The gap between 3rd place (Phoenix w/71pts) and 10th place (Minnesota w/67pts) is only 4 pts.  Getting the 2 points will be a "MUST" for coach Brent Sutter. Sutter has his team out scoring on opponents 65/44 in the last 17 games. They have also won 12, and picked up a single point in 3 of the games. With big goal-tending from Kipper, the strong defense of Cary Sarich, and the great offensive production accompanying Alex Tanguay this team is looking like Sutter had visioned. For me this game should be canceled and played indoors. I feel the classic, this late in the season, is somewhat point-less. With trade talks and the play-off race heating up battling the elements (-35 with the windchill ) is not something I would want my players involved in. I get it "its for the fans", but come on. Is this really what the fans want?? I am saying NO, don't get me wrong I am as Canadian as it comes from sitting in a hut on the lake for hours, to out living the lights on my local pond, but to have such an important game for both teams outside, a player could be seriously injured and jeopardize their chances in the play-offs I am not saying get rid of the games because I am also a fan of Heritage Classic I just think some better planing could have taken place.

Keep reading and I'll keep posting

No comments:

Search This Blog